The garden is proceeding along quite well and we are happy with the progress so far. We have to go carefully as a cold spell would not be good for some planted things if it went on for too many days. We have not been able to work every day as much as we would have liked. Aerron has been bogged down with fence repairs and changes, the weather was not co-operative at times (but not often) and we couldn’t get anything done over the weekend as all of it was family time. We made a trip to Wm. Dam Seeds and got pretty much all of our early crop seeds. We’ll need to go back at the end of this week to get onion sets and more potatoes. In the garden we did get the bed of fall planted garlic covered in compost, except for about 15 feet, and that was a job well done and it had to be done by hand. That garlic bed (four rows) will now have to have hay or grass mulch laid down for weed suppression and moisture retention. The compost acts a bit like a mulch but dries out too much if not covered and then would not as readily yield nutritional benefits to the garlic. Aerron has used the horses on the disc harrows to till the garden and it is now about 3/4 complete. We used the Cockshutt No. 1 transplanter, pulled by the horses, to mark out and make furrows for seeding in the peas and will use it again to do the same for the potatoes later this week. Putting in the seed potatoes is done by hand and is a bit slow and tedious and the peas are also seeded by hand though we will have a go at it with the row seeder to see if we can get that machine to do a good enough job. It is much faster with the seeded and far easier too. The problem with peas and the seeder is that the peas tend to pop out or to jam and sometimes, if it happens too frequently, far too much time is spent retrieving errant peas or in stopping and freeing jams. Aerron has also used the horse drawn single row cultivator to prepare beds for planting. This does not do a great job and often, depending on what it is we are planting, the beds will require more hand work to have them ready. We need a horse drawn piece of machinery that will leave a seed bed in a more seed ready condition. The bed would have to be well tilled, free of lumps and be level and be grooved only where we want it to be. We have tried various make-shift affairs and mods to pieces of equipment but to date have not gotten anything to do it right. We also seeded 2 rows of carrots.
So much more of course needs to be done. Lettuce, spinach, greens, potatoes, onions, more carrots, parsnip, chard, beets, radish and more. We can now start planting seeds into trays in the greenhouse.
The photos were all taken to-day, a dull but not all that wet day.