Hello: and the first full week of the month of May behind us. It was really difficult to get too much done what with the cool and the wet and the wind at times. Since the weekend though the weather is much improved and things are getting done nicely. The Broad Beans planted about three weeks ago have just started to emerge over the
past three days. This was very slow. Some of the overwintered green Onion, Scallions, are doing very well and have put on good growth even though it has been cold. A large amount of our fall planted Garlic failed to make it through the winter and we are not entirely sure just what happened there, though we strongly suspect that much of it was the transplanted
Garlic rather than the planted cloves. There is not a real good pattern though and even some of the early planted cloves with good cover did not survive. Interestingly the ‘missed’ garlic in last years planting seem to be doing very well. We must get garlic in earlier and mulch it very heavily. Some of the Peas, Carrots, Potatoes, Mesclun, Lettuce and cutting Kale are seeded in the ground.
More goes in each day and things are also growing in the greenhouse. Most everything is delayed though.
The new Horses: We have been able to harness the new team only once. They were not
well behaved, a lot different from when we took them for a test drive before we bought them. The one horse gave us a bit of a hard time harnessing but not too bad, however when it came time to take her bridle off she sort of lost it and pulled back in quite a panic destroying the hitching up area in the process. We managed to hold her
though and she calmed right down with the bridle off. Annoying because we now have to figure out how to prevent a repeat of that temper tantrum We also have to rebuild the hitch up spot which was quite flimsy of course because the old team had spoiled us being so well behaved. Annoying too because we now have to spend a whole lot more time working with this team to get them to perform the way that we want. We are almost going to have to treat them as an unbroken team. This at the busiest time for us and when we need them the most.
Other Stuff: We visited the Horse harness, halter and collar maker, Ezra Streicher, near Milverton, to buy a used collar. It is in ‘as new’ condition and smells leathery good too. We left one of our old collars there for repair and the other old one is probably beyond repair. We will have to get another new used collar. When we pick up the
repaired collar we will also get some of the harness parts that are needing replacing so we can bring all our harness up to a respectable standard and get rid of all the fudged up pieces that are now holding it together. The pickup of the Black Copper Maran chicks has been put forward to the third week of June and we are unsure if we can get Welsummer,
Barnevelder or Ameracauna chicks or the ducklings that we are wanting as that other hatchery may have sold out. We have to contact them this week to find out the situation. We will get some ‘ready to lay’ chickens from Frey’s Hatchery in St. Jacobs. The same as the ones that we got last year. They are dependably good layers and are always healthy, nice
looking, calm birds and since they are just coming into lay at 18 to 21 weeks of age, we don’t have to spend all the extra time and care on raising birds from day of hatch, day old chicks.
The pictures were all taken late on Wednesday afternoon.