Sorry, unable to upload any photos to this post. Don’t know why. Check our Facebook page. Hopefully I will be able to load photos there. After having writtenthe previous sentences, I managed to get the photos uploaded by doing a systems restore to my computer.
Lots of rain this past weekend. Too much rain now. We really do need some more dry and warm weather so as we can get at the weeds that have been germinating and growing madly with all the rain and to do more planting. Aerron and the team of Nell and Marta on the single row horse cultivator went over the potato patch, all 12 or so rows, and did quite a good job at getting rid of a lot of weeds. That was the day before the rains. It had been nice and dry and warm for a few short days and we did get a lot of weeding done with the horses and with much appreciated help from volunteers and working shares, much hand weeding and planting was done. Many, many thanks to our helpers here; Anca, Jennifer, Ken, Khanh, Rick and Shawn. Their work has been crucial.
The first of this season’s CSA veggie pick up days was this Thursday passed. As usual for a first time, it was a bit disorganized, but all went well. We only had the five veggie items: Green Onions, Spinach, Lettuce, Garlic Scapes and Korean Mint. It will be the same for the pick up on Tuesday (tomorrow). The garlic scapes are in short supply and that will be the last of them as we are still building our stock after having lost much of our garlic last spring.
We have several things that we must get done fast. First among these is to finish planting all of the veggies. Second is to get caught up on weeding what is there before it gets unmanageable. Third is to get a structure, a building erected, so we have a shelter for the pickup days. And fourthly we have a whole host of other time consuming chores; from fencing for chickens, horses, cows and donkey to more work on the driveway to get it a smoother less damaging ride, to training a year old colt and innumerable little things all of which take time. And some where in there is 49 of the large round bales, 4 x 4’s, sitting in our neighbours field, waiting for three or four days of decent dry sunny not humid days to get them in a dry enough condition to haul home and stuff in the barn. If we use horses and wagon and the pickup truck we should be able to manage about 24 bales in four trips in one day, so we’ll need two full days to get the job done. We might be able to get our neighbour, Laverne, to bring them home for us with his loader tractor and larger wagon, in which case it will likely take about one full day.
All this is nothing new of course as it happens more or less in this fashion every year and we’ll get it all done and things will work out well in the end. Things should work better this season as we do have a lot of extra help from our working shares and wonderful volunteers.